Friday, June 24, 2011

Tense conversation

Protag hated these conversations. Not just due to the antagonistic nature of them but the delay of calling such a long distance. The pause in response created the impression that the person on the other end of the line was carefully considering the answer before responding. In some cases he was. And never with the best of intentions. Quite the contrary. They did not have the best of relationships. A fact that was vexing. He let out a deep sigh, and made the call.

"Ok, it's me again. I don't suppose you've reconsidered your position on this. Once again, I will proceed with the best possible intentions."

There was an aggravating silence at the other end, "No, you didn't. You said you would, but you didn't."

"Damn it, that's not fucking fair! Why are you being such a dick about this? What did I do?" Admittedly, Protag could have been a bit more diplomatic and measured in his response, but weeks of this same conversation was wearing thin.

"You pissed away the greatest thing ever, that's what you did."

"Not yet I haven't! You're saying I can't change? You're saying I have no control over my actions? What the hell am I supposed to do with THAT? Huh? What, I'm on a rail and destined to drive off a cliff? You know, metaphorically speaking." An silence longer than usual made the moment all more awkward. "Metaphorically speaking, right? Antag? Are you still there?"

"You could have done anything with what you figured out. And what did you decide to do with it? This! That's what. And yeah, you didn't drive off a cliff or anything."

"But why the hell won't you help me? It will benefit you too you know. In fact more than it will me!" Protag's hand began to tremble slightly with aggravation.

Far, far away Antag considered his reply carefully, "Dude, you could have prevented wars, famine, saved people from natural disasters but no, instead you called me for weeks asking for lottery numbers. You douche."

Protag sighed and ended the call. His future self was, is, will be such a dick.

No comments: